Wednesday, September 4, 2019
I just noticed that this blog has hit half a million page views, thats a lot, a lot lot!
In spite of my having been very erratic in my posting for a while, the views keep accumulating, thank you all, thats very encouraging, with the new season coming up and life seeming to be getting to be a bit more under control, more sailing, more designing and more building of boats, there should be more material to write about.
Thanks again, all of you.
Now my phone is a Samsung A10, it works fine but a word of warning, with the screen protector on its very hard to make the touch function on the screen work. If you're going to put it in a waterproof case be aware that it may not work.
But that aside, I wanted to be able to recharge it while away.
I'd been thinking of a solar panel, a deep cycle car battery sized battery, an inverter and a bunch of wiring, but I've other things to do with my time, things like fixing that unprintable excuse of a trailer that Spook lives on, fitting the new to me ( its second hand but unused, thank you Trade Me) boarding ladder, some paint and a few other things.
When I get a statement from FlyBuys loyalty points each month, I'm in the habit of checking to see what of interest that my points might qualify for, and this time, "Bingo", I was about 40 points short of a BioLite solar panel charger.
I do on line surveys for a survey company, mostly consumer or insurance but occasionally political (boy do I have fun with those ones) surveys, each one worth a few points. In fact I get more points from these than from buying goods or groceries, living on my own I dont spend a great deal so they only add up slowly, the surveys being helpful in that respect.
So, a few surveys later I hit the target and ordered the BioLite panel.
I tried it out a couple of days ago, on a coolish winter day, some cloud and a watery sort of sunlight, it took four hours to take the phone from 40% to over 80%, it will run for two days on the latter charge.
The unit has a battery in it so can be charged up, hold the charge and be used later to juice up the phone, the VHF radio, the cabin lights, the anchor light or the torch. Its a good trick, compact, seems robust, easy to use, and I think its going to be very useful.
Here's a review.
And here's the advertisment.
Saturday, July 20, 2019
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
I gave up painting with a paintbrush, and have been using a short nap roller, cut into three segments lengthwise then into pieces about 60mm wide, and stapled to a stick for a handle. I am finding that get a very even finish, none of the orange peel look that a roller on its own gives ( yes I know about tipping it off with a paintbrush to get rid of that) or the streakiness that a paintbrush leaves in these cool humid conditions.
I've had to move everything in that crowded space out of one corner and across to another, do the painting there, then move all the gubbins back along with the gubbins from another corner then paint that, and so on. Iv'e one coat to put on one corner plus a few little touchups to do with a small brush where my "Scotsmans brushes" dont get into the corners. It will be nice to have that done.
There is work going on on the drawing board too, sometimes it takes a while to get the cabin temp up to where the ink of the Rotring pens will dry quickly enough to make working practical, but there have been some days when the sun warms the place up enough, so there is progress not only on a couple of old projects, but a new one as well. Watch this space for that.
In the evenings, when howling down with rain and wind out there in the dark I'm wont to sit up in my cozy bunk and browse through YouTube, here's one I found that has a lot of familiar stuff in it.
This is the 2009 Akaroa Trad Boat event, and woohoo, two Navigators, a Houdini and, AND, that little gaff cabin sloop with the white hull, blue topside strake, and the red Ensign on her taffrail is now, through some very unexpected events, sitting in the carport at my mothers house not so far from here. She was called "May" in those days, but to me that didnt fit, so she's now "Spook" of Stillwater.
I've put a carbon fibre mast on her, a carbon gaff, have had the jib recut and there is a new main being built, just slightly bigger than the old one.
I"m working on a better foil shape for the daggerboard, and am replacing the weight taken out of the rig ( about 20 kg which made a very noticeable difference ) with some more lead in the bilge.
She sails beautifully. I'm hoping that she'll be even better next season with the sails sorted and the rig much lighter, a bit more ballast and some other minor mods.
Anyways, here's the link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foCXFq7SA20
Tuesday, June 25, 2019
Monday, May 27, 2019
I’m back at work on Long Steps. Its been a while, as I’m the customer I figure that I can work on her or not, whichever is right at the time. But its time I got on with her, Phil McCowin has been sailing his, reports that she’s well balanced, fast, ( and for Phil to be saying that, means fast, as he’s sailed some very quick boats in his time) and comfortable. He’s taking NFRTT in the Texas 200 in a week or two, and I’m very much looking forward to his reports.
That stainless steel is seriously tough stuff, I broke two taps getting the threads in and ruined a drill bit, even with the special stainless steel cutting fluid. Ah well, done now.
This is where the lower one of those fittings has to go. Its more than an arms length down plus will have a permanent deck over it, you'll note that the lower fitting has its bolt securing fittings in two pieces so it goes one each side of that stern web. Once in, its going to be there to stay.