Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Rainy day, but no blues apart from on the radio.


Another quick report on progress out in the workshop.

It’s a lousy day today, blowing hard and raining with it. We need it though, its been a very dry summer and this will kick off the grass and crop growth for the farmers and our vegetable gardens. While it’s nasty weather its not cold, about 24 deg c today and the forecast for tomorrow is good.   
One thing about New Zealand weather, if you don’t like it just wait for a few hours and it will be completely different.

So, rather than being out in the Kayak or whatever, I have been puttering around doing the minor woodwork on “ Scraps”. I’ve made up the oarlock blocks, epoxy coated the undersides of the skegs, painted the outside of the hull with primer, and filled a lot of the screw holes inside.
I am going to set this one up for lifting with davits or a boom tackle so it can be hoisted aboard easily,

so there is a little more woodwork to do than will be shown in the plans.
So for those who are interested, here are a couple of shots of “Scraps”.  6ft 3in long, about “that”  wide and weighing about as much as I can lift easily in one hand.
Yeh! I’ll have more accurate statistics later on.
In the meantime I’m looking forward to trying her out in a few days time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    I'm still planning on building a trout fishing boat for the local lakes. I've been watching "Scraps" with keen interest. I've come close to building Tender Behind many times, but I really like the way you've done the bow on Scraps. I like to beach the boat then walk forward and depart from the bow. The V-hulls make that a little bit of a problem sometimes. I like what you've done here.
    It's a real treat to see you building, Take care my friend. Will you be at Port Townsend again this year? I very much missed having Ellie on display last year. My daughter scheduled her wedding that weekend (I know, what was she thinking)!
    -Joel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, you have used two skegs about 1.5m and parallel to the center line. If the there was a V bottom (instead of flat), would the skegs be still parallel to the center line, or would they be wider apart at the aft end.
      My thinking is that on a V-bottom hull (rowing), the flow lines would not be parallel to the center line, but would be spreading out as they move aft. If (big IF) that were true, then parallel skegs would be causing 'major' turbulence.
      As Joel mentioned above, V-bottom hulls can be difficult to handle when grounded and therefore two skegs will help to keep the boat from tipping.

      Delete