Sail area is 7.1 sq m. Thats 76.5 sq ft.
Length is 4.45 m - 14ft 7in
Beam is 1.55m - 5ft 1in
Weight should be around 75 kg 165 lbs
Draft 175mm board up 7in
1.1m board down. 3ft 7in
I dont expect to have to build a proper boat trailer for this, I figure that I will be able to just lift the bow up onto the end board of a handyman trailer, pick the stern up and push the boat forward.
I'll put plastic imitation grass on the end board to make it slide, and will slot the board to take the skeg which will make it stay centered as I push it.
Managing it on the beach will be with a couple of inflatable sausage shaped fenders used as rollers.
I had an “Off day” yesterday. Not every day goes as planned, sometimes ones frailalties get in the way.
So there was not much done, and I’ve decided to take my own advice and just build when I feel like it. No pressure, and it makes it much more fun than trying to meet deadlines.
I did though go to a Folk music club meeting last night, its only the second meeting of a brand new club and it being a new group means that the social structure is not so entrench and I’ll fit in more easily. I used to play several instruments, ( badly but enjoyed them) and should really get one or more out and practice. This will be an incentive.
I’ve also joined a Writers Club, while I have written a great deal of technical and non fiction, writing fiction is very different and I’m doing a little of that for fun and to make friends here in my new home area as well. There is no need to be lonely.
Back on boat things, I’ve roughed out the foil shape of the daggerboard. Its three laminations of 9mm plywood which is easier for most people than making it up from strips of solid wood.
I use an angle grinder with a 40 grit sanding disc to form the shape up where it transitions from the rectangular shape that fits the ‘case, to the foil shape and rough from there down to the tip with a power plane. Next is the hand plane, the dark glue lines of the plywood make it easy to get the section constant all the way down, and its at this stage that I go from “eyeball” to fitting the template that I’ve made from the foil section I drew on the plans.
That section by the way is not an NACA section, its one that I got from a hydrodynamics software suite that I have, its designed for high lift at moderate speeds and to have a very high stall angle, the aim being that it wont stall when tacking at slow speeds.
While SEI should be moderately fast for a somewhat trad styled boat the fact that its double ended means that it will be slower than boats with near parallel sections from the widest beam aft, that plus even a really fast small boat is not fast in terms of true speed through the water (compared with say a 70 ft ocean racer) so the medium speed section is more appropriate to the use.
Fitting the template to the foil.
From here, I’ll knock the bumps off with the Festool Rotex sander then coat the ‘board with System 3 fairing compound and carefully fit it to the template.
I wont glass it, but have put a strip of hardwood down the leading edge by cutting the middle layer of plywood back 20mm and laminating a piece of mahogany in there. That will reduce impact damage quite a lot.
Up to the stage where you see it, that shaping of the foil took about an hour, the rudder blade is next…